A short drive south of Huntly brings us to the town of Ngaruawahia.
Located at the meeting of the Waikato and Waipa Rivers, Ngaruawahia is home to the Maori Kīngitanga or King Movement. The first Maori King, Potatau Te Wherowhero, was crowned at Ngaruawahia in April, 1857. The name Ngaruawahia means ‘the opened food pits, which comes from a great feast in the 17th century.
Our tour stop, historical Turangawaewae House, is situated just over the main trunk railway line from State Highway 1.
Ngaruawahia is home to Ngaruawahia United, the ‘Green Machine.’