Team Wellington vs WaiBOP United – December 22, 2013 –


December 22, 2013Score: 3 – 2

Match Report

Westpac Stadium, Wellington. Kick-off: 4.05pm (ASB Premiership)

WaiBOP United has found themselves wrapped up in a similar story, after a competitive showing in the capital against Team Wellington wasn’t quite enough to get a result.

United twice came from behind to level the scores during the first half, but couldn’t manage a similar trick when the hosts went ahead for the third and final time on the hour. Maksim Manko went close, having a close range header cleared off the line, but Team Wellington’s second half showing was enough to secure the points.

Team Wellington went ahead inside five minutes when Henry Fa’arodo went clear and rounded Andy McNeil to score. Team Wellington started well and had the best of the first twenty minutes, but United finally got a foothold in the match and, after a series of corners, found their first equaliser just inside the half hour mark. Jack McNab found himself in space before being tracked down by Adam Cowan, but all Cowan could do was ensure the ball squirmed past Jacob Spoonley and into the Team Wellington goal.

The hosts went back in front four minutes later when All White, Cole Peverley, drilled home a free kick with rare venom. It gave McNeil little chance but came, unfortunately, after a period of United strength.

The scores were level again four minutes before the break. Manko got himself on the end of a well placed through ball and calmly finished past Jacob Spoonley in the Team Wellington goal. The goal set up an intriguing prospect of a second half.

Half time: 2-2.

Team Wellington re-entered the fray with strength and purpose and scored the winner through Cory Chettleburgh on the hour mark. The goal came six minutes after the same player had rattled the cross bar from distance.

United had Manko’s header cleared off the line as well as a half shout for a penalty on Jack McNab, but the hosts held the upper hand for long periods and did a professional job to close out their fourth win of the season on a day full of upsets. With Auckland being held at home by Hawkes Bay United, the three points saw Wellington move up to second in what’s turning out to be a very tight league.

Worryingly, WaiBOP enters the Christmas break with a couple of players appearing to suffer serious injuries. Marcelo Galera Corbera went off just before the break with a quad strain, while Takahiro Yokota had to be replaced late on after damaging his collar bone. Hopefully the scans during the week will come up positive.

The league now takes a two week break for Christmas. WaiBOP kicks into the second half of the season with a January 12 trip to Christchurch to take on Canterbury United.


1. Andy McNeil
3. Aaron Scott
4. Takahiro Yokota
5. Tyler Lissette
6. Masaki Nomoto
7. Mark Jones
99. Marcel Galera Corbera
12. Jack McNab
99. Maksim Manko GoalAssist
9. Shaydon Young
18. Alexis Varela


8. Mikhail Bredeveldt Sub12
23. Tom Probert Sub4
17. Reid Drake Sub99